Xylitol additive warning

Xylitol a natural, sugarfree sweetner which is being used extensively in products for humans. Unfortunately if dogs get hold of and consume these products  it can have very serious consequences.  It can cause life threatening low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and large ingestions can result in acute liver failure.

The common products that contain Xylitol are sugar free gum, mints, breath mints, toothpaste, chewable vitamin tablets, nicorette, mouthwashes.  There has been a recent warning that a new “healthy” low sugar peanut butter has come out on the market, this contains Xylitol.  So if you use peanut butter sometimes in your dog’s Kongs or other toys, please read the label first.

If you think your dog has eaten a product containing Xylitol, immediately contact your vet.